I rarely talk about what I do professionally on here – mostly because I like to keep my professional life off the internet. It doesn’t do to air your frustrations out on a blog that is public record for everyone to see. However, I have to vent today about my job and what I do. First off – I’m a project manager for software installations. Technically my title is business analyst but I’m doing a lot less analyzing and a lot more project management so for all intents and purposes I’m a project manager.
What is a project manager? This week being a project manager involved:
- Creating multiple project plans in MS Project for two different deployments
- Playing mediator to an analyst and developer which were tiffing
- Assigning and researching bugs (of which I managed to confuse myself because I’m managing two different deployments that look the same)
- Redoing 40 screens until 8PM because we were given the wrong information by the customer (total accident)
- User group meetings to get sign off on requirements
- 178 miles on my car
- Status reports, status reports, status reports
- Internal meetings with higher ups about resources
- Ramping up my new boss on the projects
Sure – that doesn’t seem like a big list – but when you’re doing all of that at the same time, and still trying to field questions from developers, analysts and the client alike, it makes your head spin. In fact – this week was so hectic that it has caused my period to be an entire week late and I slept through the first half of the Green Bay / Bears game last night. I mean, really, when your body is being affected by the things are going on at your company you’ve got issues.
I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that although I am apparently good at what I do, I really don’t like it all that much.
What do you do? Do you like it?